There are two very different academic librarian gigs currently available in the Hospitality, Labor, and Management Library (HLM) here at Cornell: The Associate Director of the HLM Library, and the Business Research Librarian for the Nestlé Library.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF THE HOSPITALITY, LABOR AND MANAGEMENT LIBRARY-19935
The Hospitality, Labor, and Management (HLM) Library seeks experienced business library managers as candidates for the position of Associate Director. The successful candidate will lead a team of librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development across three highly-ranked Cornell schools; provide support in and serve as liaison to the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management (Johnson); and actively participate in HLM leadership. The Associate Director will be a leader who can bring their own philosophy and ideas into a developing organization and help shape its direction.
The HLM Library serves Cornell’s specialized business and labor schools, composed of the School of Hotel Administration (SHA), Industrial & Labor Relations School (ILR), and Johnson, with more than 1,800 undergraduates, 1,400 graduate students, 150 full-time resident faculty, and extensive distance education, executive, and extension programs. Johnson recently ranked seventh among US MBA programs in BusinessWeek, while the specialized ILR and SHA schools are the top institutions in their fields.
Reporting to the Harriet Morel Oxman Director of the HLM Library, the Associate Director will:
- Manage a team of 11 librarians and staff providing research support, instruction, and collection development to the three Cornell schools supported by HLM.
- Serve as the lead library liaison to Johnson, understanding and communicating the needs of the school’s students and faculty in the context of the broader university environment.
- Serve on the HLM leadership group.
- Provide direct research support and instruction to the Johnson community.
- Participate actively in professional organizations, library and university committees, and scholarly pursuits.
The Associate Director will be an innovative, enthusiastic professional with a dedication to building, leading, and participating in teams, drawing on and contributing to the expertise of colleagues. Additionally, the successful candidate will:
- Have an understanding of standard and traditional library practices, but also eagerly embrace change and opportunities that new technologies and techniques bring to the field.
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and willingness for strategic experimentation.
- Understand the changing research process and the need for user focused services.
- Model and maintain the HLM Library’s core values of collaboration, excellence, flexibility, innovation, integrity, and service.
BUSINESS RESEARCH LIBRARIAN FOR THE NESTLE LIBRARY-19870
The Nestlé Library seeks creative, energetic, forward-thinking candidates for the professional position of Business Research Librarian. The library serves Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration (SHA), a business management program with a focus on the hospitality industry, including operations, marketing, finance, management, and real estate. In addition to traditional library services, the Nestlé Library welcomes candidates with a keen eye towards innovative and user-focused programs to promote the library to SHA students, faculty, and staff. Above all, candidates must be excited by the opportunity to develop the programs and services needed for the 21st century digital information environment at the premier hospitality management school.
The successful candidate will provide research, instruction, collection development, and outreach services to the SHA community as one of two librarians in the Nestlé Library. The Nestlé librarians are members of the larger research and learning services team within the Hospitality, Labor, and Management (HLM) Library, which serves Cornell’s specialized business and labor schools, including the Industrial and Labor Relations School and the Johnson Graduate School of Management.
The School of Hotel Administration integrates a diverse group of undergraduate, professional, and graduate students, faculty, staff, and practitioners to provide a unique educational experience. As the only Ivy League business management program to focus on the hospitality industry, SHA actively prepares students to be leaders in a dynamic global industry.
- Reporting to the Coordinator of Research Services, the SHA Research Librarian is responsible for:
- Providing direct research assistance to the School of Hotel Administration community;
- Designing, teaching and assessing instruction sessions, including working with faculty to develop curriculum-integrated instructional programs;
- Providing outreach using traditional and innovative methods;
- Developing and maintaining an expertise in hospitality and business information resources;
- Collaborating with key stakeholders in the Hospitality, Labor, and Management Library; and
- Participating actively in professional organizations, library, and university committees, and scholarly pursuits.
To apply for either of these positions, see: https://www.hr.cornell.edu/jobs/